On Sun, Apr 30, 2023 at 10:42 PM Ewen Hill <ewen.h...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>   I am really disappointed by the anger and outrage in this thread and
> that, to castigate a volunteer in public,

I understand you, and some others may feel this way, but what I am seeing
is simply an exchange of ideas between people that have different points of
view - some of those views are very strongly held.  If that is your idea of
"anger, outrange, and castigation", then we have a problem, because for the
vitality of the community - and our individual development and learning -
we need to be able to express our views and hear views from others. The
only "anger" I heard was towards companies that some on this mailing list
believe compromise our privacy.  Whether you agree with those people or
not, I don't think there is a problem with anger directed at such companies
and their alleged  behavior - but perhaps others feel differently.  If
there was a particular statement or statements that you felt were
problematic, perhaps you could point to the general type of case (probably
shouldn't call folks out by name) so that the rest of us could learn and
improve.

>   I hope in future, that if someone objects strongly to a scenario
> presented, then they contact the original poster directly first and if they
> have no luck, then reply to the group.

It is important that these debates happen in the open so we all can hear
all different points of view.  For example, you responded to the entire
list, and now we know you feel there has been "anger, outrage, and
catigation" on this list.  If you provide more details to the list, I am
sure most of us will make an effort to do better (as long as it doesn't
involve refraining from expressing our views and debating the issues).

Mike