Courtney <courtney.william...@gmail.com> writes:

> We also now have a new datapoint for our research. It will be interesting
> to get a sense of how many within the community have principled objections
> to proprietary software compared to members of the community who are
> looking at useability, localization, and/or accessibility as well as open
> sourcing in their choices of software.

Asking about whether people care about accessibilty in this context is a
bit of a red herring.  It's like complaining that someone who objects on
moral grounds to a group going around stealing food from stores to feed
the hungry must not care about people who don't have enough food.

Labeling the current pushback as objection to proprietary software is
missing half the point.  However, that half is certainly valid.

The other half is separate, which is that many people in OSM believe
that they should be able to fully participate -- without being second
class in any way -- without

  having to enter into a contract with any company, or

  having data about them captured and/or handled by a company, except
  perhaps one acting on behalf of OSMF under a non-disclosure agreement.

For example, if OSMF hired the same kind of company that does employee
satisfaction surveys for large employers, under NDA, then the
"proprietary software" objection would still (almost certainly) be on
the table, but the "user is asked to sign a contract with an invasive
advertising company and have their data handled by an invasive
advertising company under terms other than NDA" would be mostly avoided.

As for the ideology of open source: it's probably more helpful to talk
about Free Software, which is the original concept for freedoms for the
user, as "open source" is a term with a softer tone that amounts to the
same thing.  Free Software respects the freedom of users

  to run the software,
  to study and modify the software,
  to redistribute unmodified copies, and
  to redistribute modified versions.

OSM is not strictly a free software project, but it is an open data
project (which is not "Free Data" but that would be the same thing),
with "data" instead of "software".

It can't be strictly concluded that Free Software will be respectful of
users, in that the software when run will act in the user's interest
rather than the interests of the authors.  However, it's mostly true in
practice.  It also can't be concluded that proprietary software will
misbehave (acting for the authors and against the users), but the track
record of most zero-cost proprietary software is quite dreadful.

Overall, you are both running into a principled objection that
proprietary software is not ok to use, and a belief that asking people
to volunteer to be surveilled as a condition of community participation
is not ok.  A number of us see the second part as a moral bright line,
not a detail.

I see it as inconsistent to support open data without having at least
some significant bias against using proprietary software (for the open
data project).  I also see it as inconsistent not to object to asking
users to sign contracts with surveillance companies.  We wouldn't for
instance, be ok with "you have to agree to google's terms to get OSM
data" or "you have to report your name and location every minute while
routing using OSM data" -- which while sounding bizare is basically the
google maps experience for most.

I view it as regrettable that more of the community does not understand
and agree with these objections.