Vào lúc 19:03 2023-05-03, Imre Samu đã viết:
In addition to this, new OSM community members should be prepared for the potential culture shock they may encounter, especially those who come from a top-down corporate environment. It's important to remember that OpenStreetMap is characterized by a bazaar-style, bottom-up communication approach, which may be an adjustment for some. Embracing this unique aspect of the community will help newcomers adapt and thrive in the OSM environment.

In fact, this is a big topic, and when I consider the OSM community problems from the past few years through the viewpoint of cultural differences, it gives me a good understanding of the reasons.

First of all, I appreciate that you're avoiding the pitfall of suggesting a technical solution for a social problem. </sugarCoating> ;-)

Maybe you're right that we should all build character and develop thicker skins. But there are alternative communication channels that don't place this burden on newcomers, not to mention alternatives to OSM that are competing for people's limited leisure time. After all, this is a mailing list in service of the OSM project, not the other way around.

Most of the Americans I've introduced to OSM are enthusiasts and curious onlookers who have never experienced a top-down corporate environment. They *expect* an egalitarian model. Yet I would hesitate to throw them into any of the larger mailing lists. There's too much office politics, too many hidden red lines to cross by accident. If a topic doesn't result in a pile-on, it is met with silence or peters out without consensus.

If we had a comprehensive how-to guide on the wiki about effective persuasion on the mailing lists, maybe the mailing lists would look a little more attractive -- or just difficult. Otherwise, you all wouldn't appreciate Eternal September anyways.

Generally, the OSM Talks mailing list is characterized by *"deep-level diversity," and as a result, more productive conflicts are expected than usual,* which is normal based on some diversity research [3]. This means that diverse perspectives and experiences can lead to more engaging discussions and ultimately result in innovative solutions and ideas for the community.

What about the inverse? If an OSM communication channel doesn't experience the same degree of conflict, does that necessarily mean it lacks the depth of diversity found here on the mailing lists, or is there some other relevant factor?

--
m...@nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us